Welcome to Villa Ballets Negres – an architectural modernist design house above the idyllic fishing village of Whitehouse, Jamaica.
Built in 2016, the concrete and glass Villa Ballets Negres draws influence from the ‘Brutalist’ movement. Although the term has been adapted from the British architectural critic Reyner Banham, the origins come from the French word for “raw” used by le Corbusier to describe his choice of material: béton brut – raw concrete.
The house’s white rendered walls and simple, elegant lines ensure synergy and harmony within the stunning natural Jamaican environment.
VBN is named as a debt of respect to those early Jamaican cultural pioneers who established the first black European ballet company, which flourished to international renown after the second world war. For only six short years, the ballet which was established by Berto Pasuka in 1946, was an amalgamation of Jamaican Maroon heritage dance, African drumming with elements of European classical influence. It was the first serious attempt to present African dance as a valid, cultural art for the general public.
The villa salutes Les Ballets Negres by acknowledging its heritage to the past with echoes of Jamaican culture and the age in which the ballet was active. This is referenced by the original or reproduction mid twentieth century furniture, and the collection original glass, pottery and art work.
The interior design of the house uses a neutral pallet of white with key accent colours of blue and orange taken from the influence of Jamaica’s surrounding oceans and abundance of beautiful, lush nature.
There is a curated art collection, reflecting the cultural influences on Jamaica, such as African masks, dating from the early 1900’s, or the work of some of the leading Jamaican artists. There is also a collection of unpublished pictures of the ballet used as wall art. Join others who have explored the house and it’s art and discover Villa Ballets Negres’ connections with Jamaica and history.
VBN is a newly built modernist villa, showing simple clean lines, with influences of the 50's/60's Brutalist architectural style. It is filled with mainly original or replica mid-century furniture, and a curated glass, pottery and artwork collection almost solely from this era, with connections to Jamaica and to the original 1946-52 acclaimed Ballets Negres, after which it is named. It is readily accessible being situated at the end of a cul-de-sac on an estate; there are no immediate neighbouring properties. There are extremely large parking areas to the front and rear of the property.
Named after Les Ballets Negres - the first black dance company, founded in 1946 in Kingston, Jamaica - Villa Ballets Negres is an incredibly spacious luxury villa, featuring four extremely large bedrooms with floor to ceiling glass windows and access to the wide, wrap around balcony. Walk on the polished concrete floors through-out, lounge on the roof terrace, send the kids to play in the games room and have the chef prepare something delicious in the contemporary, designer kitchen. Make use of the excellent wi-fi and turn up the wireless sound dock. Although it is in a private estate, Villa Ballets Negres is secluded and peaceful with fantastic sunset views from the roof terrace. There are cleaning staff, gardener, 24-7 security cameras and night watchmen and by prior arrangement; access to your own private chef catering Jamaican, European and American specialities. Both Villa Ballets Negres' chef and groceries will be at an additional cost. Of course, you are more than welcome to self-cater.
VBN is L-shaped and is 830 sq. metres, 8900 sq. feet - on two floors, with an internal staircase to the roof terrace. There are external stairs to the garden from the drive and also from the pool area. The infinity pool is 5m x 14m with a deep end of 10ft deep end.
There are four very large double bedrooms situated on the first floor, all are double basin ensuite with double shower. The master bedroom has a large free-standing bath. There is also a study. The house carries a maximum of ten guests.
The ground floor has a large entrance hall with a ceiling three stories high, a living room of 66 sq meters, a kitchen/diner, a sauna room, a covered games area, and a covered dining/bar area. There are two WC's. There are terraces including a pool terrace. All areas and rooms have both sea and forest/hill views. All walls are white with cedar or white finished doors. All main windows are floor-to-ceiling.
The main garden is walled and lies to the front of the house. It is lawned with flower beds and two large mango trees. It is approx. 30 x 15 metres. Further tropical rainforest, belonging to VBN is located at the side of the villa.
The villa is situated on the quieter more authentic southern coast of Jamaica, near Whitehouse, still a fishing village. It lays in the hills with sea and tropical rainforest views. A variety of beaches are five minutes away by car, they are usually either empty or sparsely occupied. The large village of Whitehouse is also five minutes away by car. Montego Bay airport is about ninety-five minutes away.
|Name||Date Range||Nightly Rate|
|2018||01/02/2018 - 31/07/2018||$799|
• Of course, we ask that during your stay, you would please respect the furniture and curated art collection which references the era of the Ballets Negres and showcases the artistic influences of Jamaica, Africa and Europe. Therefore there is strictly NO smoking allowed inside the house at any time, however on the veranda, roof terrace or pool area is acceptable. Please use the ashtrays provided.
• In the event of breakage or damage to any items or furniture, we do expect to be alerted at the earliest opportunity and removing any items from the villa is strictly prohibited. We do an inventory check after every stay, so are aware if items are missing.
• For your comfort and knowledge, the house is very secure - we have internal security cameras as well as external security cameras on the property - running 24/7 which we can view anywhere at anytime. Our whole property is also gated, an exterior watchman and is locked at night.
• There are only parties allowed with prior arrangement, however we are very much easy when it comes to music level; enjoy! There are two Bluetooth speakers for you to use, one by the external dining room and the Bose system in the formal living room. We politely ask that the Bose system is kept for indoor use.
• Please pack away pool lounge furniture and cushions at night; returned to their original home into the sauna room. Used beach and pool towels are to be left in sauna room, for the maid to take. Instructions to the use of the villa’s sauna will be provided on Induction.
• Please ensure that ALL doors to the outside, are securely locked when either retiring for the night or leaving the house during the day – as you would in your own home!
• We ask that you respect that in the Kitchen and Formal Living Room, that you do not sit down with wet clothes from the pool area on our chairs as they are all natural materials and fabrics.
• As we are environmentally conscious, please be mindful of the use of air-con, ceiling fans and water wastage. We ask that you respectfully turn off lights, celing-fans and air-con if you are not using that room during that time. When retiring for the night or leaving the house during the day, please turn off all ceiling fans.
• Villa Ballets Negres has business strength Wifi; this may on the rare occasion go down but is quickly rectified and is normally due to the Internet service provider experiencing a technical error. We also can have sudden yet intermittent power cuts. This is generally due to Jamaican National Power suppliers.
• Tap water is drinkable but we have our own fresh spring water which will be replenished in the fridge daily by Housekeeping. The fridge has a continual ice facility that replenishes through-out the day.
• Housekeeping service is provided. If you wish to have laundry service, please leave in the bags in the walk-in closet provided. Hair dryers are provided for your use and are in the chest of drawers.
• The villa have a professional chef that we have had before cook personally for us - we found her highly professional and the food excellent. She comes at a daily rate of $55 US payable to VBN before guests depart the villa at end of their stay. The chef’s core day is 8 working hours, with half an hour lunch. Any time over this time is extra, and is over-time at the same rate. The cost of groceries and alcohol is at the guest's discretion to purchase. Also the chef can discuss tailored menus and accompany you to the stores. We do provide a basic, welcome food pack for guests upon arrival, which will make you comfortable in your first hours at VBN. We will re-iterate that the guest purchases ALL groceries and alcohol at their expense and time. Gratuities are not provided to the chef, driver or maid. Although it is not customary in Jamaica, if you feel that you wish to show this, then please do tip directly to the service provider. It is normally between 10 to 15%.
Discover properties with similar characteristics.